Tuesday, August 21, 2012

carpooling

{carpooling} "is the sharing of car journeys so that more than one person travels in a car; by having more people using one vehicle, carpooling reduces each person's travel costs such as fuel costs, tolls, and the stress of driving; carpooling is also seen as a more environmentally friendly and sustainable way to travel as sharing journeys reduces carbon emissions, traffic congestion on the roads, and the need for parking spaces"

carpooling is not for the faint of heart.  this is what i have learned thus far this week and it's only tuesday.

parking on campus is well, let's just say, dramatic.  always has been, always will be.  this semester seemed to be another step above dramatic, though.  the new parking rules are giving dramatic a run for its money...quite literally.  i mean...what would you call paying $600 for a parking spot so that you can go to work??

in lieu of the $600 and $400 spots, my good professor friend asked me to register under the carpool option with her.  it's cheaper (almost $600 cheaper) and really it is a wise option since we just live a street away from each other.  she'll be driving monday through thursday, and i will only be driving fridays.  she is so good to me.

i am thankful for her generosity and her continual encouragement and support to me. 

with that said, carpooling is not my favorite, at least not yet.

picture this:  it's monday afternoon, about 5:20.  i am ready to leave work (granted it's already later than i'd prefer to be leaving work)...i shut down my computer, pack up my bags, turn off my lights, lock and shut my office door, grab my keys from my purse, walk out the main doors to head to my car, when suddenly it hits me.  i can't just leave.  i can't just get in my car and run to target real quick before going home.  i can't just do anything but sit and wait for my carpool buddy to be ready to leave because i don't have a car on campus.  independent no longer.  after a long day at work, that feeling is overwhelming.  i almost cried.  truth.  no exaggeration.  dramatic?  maybe.

i know there will be days where she will be waiting for me, so i am not complaining about my precious carpooling buddy, i'm just stating the fact that the feeling of not being able to do what i want/need to do when i want/need to do it is somewhat difficult.

it will be fine.  in a couple of weeks, i will be use to the routine of it and will not think twice about it.  until then...

do i sound dramatic?  i hope so.


3 comments:

  1. Well, I leave at 5:00 every day so you are always welcome to ride home with me! :D I would love to have some carpooling days with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha this is so true! we are so spoiled by our independence that sometimes we think it's actually worth it to do something 'dumb' like spend an extra $600 just to have that freedom! I totally hear ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this :) love your HONEST feelings!

    ReplyDelete