Tuesday, March 19, 2013

home sick

have you ever been homesick because you're home sick?  that was my weekend. 

i traveled home to pennsylvania (yay pa!) this past weekend to celebrate my nephews' birthday.  it is tradition.  i make my way home each march to help my sister control all the kiddos at the boys' birthday party.  that's no easy feat.  just imagine twenty some boys filling up their cups at the soda fountain...one part mt. dew, one part gatorade, one part root beer, one part pepsi...i think you get the picture.

waking up feeling somewhat sicky friday did not have me looking forward to the drive home.  after a few phone calls and second guessing whether or not i should go, i hit the road.  even then, i thought about turning around a time or two and heading back to my house.  my wheels kept heading north, though.  what should have been about a six hour drive turned into an eight hour drive.  gotta love road trip traffic.  bleh!  half a tissue box later, i made it back in town.  visited with my friend, mary, for an hour before calling it a night and crashing.

saturday was party day.  laser tag with about twenty-five 8-12 year old boys.  bring it on!  my code name for laser tag was really intimidating, really.  aunt randa.  i'm sure they were shaking in their knees!  and they should have been.  aunt randa came in at #4.  i should also report red team (that's me!) won 3 games and the blue team only won one.  to be fair, about seven of the eight adults that were playing somehow ended up on the red team with just one adult on the blue team.  so much for random selection.

on to the next party, family edition.  and this is where i crash, again. spent the rest of the day in bed and on the couch.  waking up sunday morning, i realized i wasn't getting any better and needed to get on the road...without seeing the rest of my relatives, including my grandparents who i haven't seen in over a year.

i cried.  for the first time in a long time, i was homesick because i was home sick.  i'm thankful for the little i did get to see some of their faces, but was so disappointed that i was home, but couldn't really do much with my family.  i'm learning to treasure the time with them.  knowing my family was right in the other room, but i was stuck in bed, was no fun.  thank you to my big sister for trying to help me feel better with a bunch of these goodies.

what makes you homesick?

No comments:

Post a Comment