Sunday, December 30, 2012

seatbelt money

if you have ever ridden in the car with me, you probably know how important wearing your seatbelt is to me.  one reason is because of my experience in a very serious car accident as a little girl.  i was reminded of the second reason during my visit home for christmas.

i spent an afternoon visiting with my uncle kenny and aunt shirley.  technically, they are my great uncle and aunt, but we grew up spending a great deal of time with them and my cousin, keith.  they also provided for my family more than i could ever repay them.  in fact, we lived with them for a period of time when my mom was recovering from our serious car accident and my dad worked second and third shifts.

as i was saying my good-byes, aunt shirley slipped some money into my hand..."gas money," she said.  some things never change.

when we were kids and visiting, she would walk out to the van with us to make sure we put on our seatbelts.  once the seatbelt was buckled, she gave us a dollar.  seatbelt money.  as we got older and started driving ourselves, the seatbelt dollar quickly turned into gas money.  here i am, in my mid-twenties, and i'm still getting aunt shirley's seatbelt money.

No comments:

Post a Comment