Wednesday, September 26, 2012

you love me the same

{you see the depths of my heart and you love me the same}

i have sung this line a time or two or ten or maybe a hundred.  i have never felt the reassurance of grace in that lyric as much as i did sunday singing in church.

{you see the depths of my heart and you love me the same}

i find it difficult to fathom the measure of that love.  more so than any of my dearest friends, god sees the depths of my heart.  he sees my jealousy, my anger, my unkind and impure thoughts, my struggles, my insecurities, my flaws.  though some of these depths may go unspoken to those around me, god still sees them.  he sees those depths and fills them with grace and love, not judgment.  not for a moment does his love waiver.

this reminds me of a quote i recently stumbled upon by a.w. tozer:  "the goodness of god is infinitely more wonderful than we will ever be able to comprehend."  i am quite uncertain that we will ever fully and truly comprehend all of god's goodness, including the depths of his love.

as much as we often claim to love our family and friends unconditionally, i wonder how much our love could actually bear before we bend and break and our love begins to waiver and weather in the storms.  i would love to sit here and claim that my love would be and is unending, but i am not certain that i could promise my love would surpass all the depths that life can bring if i was truly put to the test, at least not in my own human want or strength.  but peter encourages us to "be full of sympathy toward each other, loving one another with tender hearts and humble minds" {1 peter 3:8}.  in order to love as god loves, we must be near to him, to know him, to know his love.

No comments:

Post a Comment