Wednesday, July 31, 2013

it's not me, it's you

dear sallie mae,

it's not me, it's you.  really, it's you.  my first impression of our relationship was beautiful.  i asked for money, and you willingly and generously gave.  for four years, you were a wonderful companion.  then, within a matter of six months, it all changed.  i was handed a diploma and suddenly you wanted all of my money and then some.  i can handle a give and take relationship, but suddenly you seem to be in a take, take, take mode.  this would have been fine, except, i don't recall you pulling all-nighters to write a full curriculum or to painstakingly decipher abstract algebra.  one thing's for sure, you got an "A+" in math class when the topic was interest.  clearly that is one topic you understand whole-heartedly.

another subject you understand is the vulnerability of a naive college student.  shame on you.

unfortunately for you, i am now three degrees wiser and through with you.  i now fully understand the consequences of our relationship.  and in the back of my mind (and bank account), i will forever have to live with the damages you have enabled.

today i made my last payment to you.  you have approximately forty-eight business hours to enjoy my debt.  i will expect to see another one of these pop up in my inbox shortly:
no thanks to you, i can now begin saving for my mansion my cute, little starter home (hopefully mostly move-in ready) and my vacation to ireland.

yours no more,

miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment